I’m trying to learn for my Political Science class and I’m stuck. Can you help?
Inmates Rights and Special Circumstances
According to the preamble to the U.S. Constitution, one (1) of the founding philosophies of the United States is that each person, citizen or not, is endowed with certain permanent rights. This philosophy extends even to people who have committed crimes that warrant prison sentences. Imagine that you are a commissioner on the Board of State Prison, and you are responsible for making recommendations regarding inmate rights and special circumstances. Use the Internet or Strayer University library (https://research.strayer.edu) to research costs that an inmate could incur if he or she chooses to challenge his or her confinement.
Write a 3-to 5-page paper in which you:
- Analyze the legal mechanisms in which an inmate can challenge his or her confinement. Support or refute the cost of such challenges to the state and / or federal government. Provide a rationale for your response.
- Analyze the grievance process from a state of your choice that inmates must follow while incarcerated. Critique the grievance process and whether it is enough to protect inmates’ rights while incarcerated. Provide a rationale for your response.
- Examine the five largest groups of inmates with special needs that are discussed in your textbook. Prepare one recommendation for each group that management can use to meet the needs of the special need inmate. Provide a rationale for your response.
- Determine whether the use of the death penalty violates offenders’ rights against “cruel and unusual punishment,” as guaranteed by the Eighth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. Justify your response.
- Use at least three quality references. Note: Wikipedia and other websites do not qualify as academic resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides.
- This course requires that citations and references follow the Strayer Writing Standards (SWS). The format is different than others Strayer University courses. Please take a moment to review the SWS documentation for details.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Recommend improvements to selected areas of corrections.
- Analyze various issues in corrections, including effective community corrections programs, probation and parole, and reentry strategies.
- Propose specific components of an institutional facility model based on effective management policies and procedures for a specified group of inmates.
- Analyze key issues involved with the correctional staff.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in correctional facility policies.
- Write clearly and concisely about correctional facility policies using proper writing mechanics.