I’m studying and need help with a English question to help me learn.
WP # 1 Prompt: Rhetorical Analysis
Now that you are familiar with rhetorical devices, you will compose a three-page essay that identifies, analyzes, and evaluates the claims of an argument.
For your essay, you will examine Van Jones’ TED Talk, “The Economic Injustice of Plastic,” to identify: 1) what rhetorical devices are used 2) argue whether these devices persuaded you to support or reject Jones’ idea.
- Explain why a rhetorical device is effective or not; do not simply identify it.
- Consider the reader’s needs when describing evidence or examples from the talk.
- Use all your senses when breaking-down Jones’ arguments.
- Creativity is always appreciated by your audience!
TED Talk Transcript:
Rules and Guidelines:
- All essays must conform to the academic writing rules and format of the genre to be accepted for grading.
- Your essay must use:
- 12-point font size
- Times New Roman font
- Double-spaced paragraphs
- Proper heading and page numbers
- 1-inch margins
- Be sure to spellcheck and proofread your work to ensure credibility.
- Rough drafts will be one to two pages in length; Final drafts will be three-pages in length.
- Any draft that is submitted late will incur a half-letter grade deduction for every class day the assignment is late.
- See your syllabus for deadlines and dropbox locations.
- Cover the required length and matter of the essay.
- You must use MLA format when citing evidence/quotes in your work.
- Do not use any outside sources in your work.
- Dictionaries, encyclopedias, and other reference texts included.
- Consider the reader’s needs when writing your work.
- See the grading rubric for further instructions on how to write an effective essay.