I’m working on a Sociology exercise and need support.
everything is in the pdf. Requirements, rubric, article and data tables but just in case…
First, read the article entitled “Extensive Data Shows Punishing Reach of Racism for Black Boys”1 (link on Blackboard and in the footnote below). Pay particular attention to the visualizations of the data. (I will refer to this as the “main article”.) Second, look at the data tables included in this handout, which represent the socioeconomic trajectories of all participants in the study. (I will refer to these as the “data tables”).
Working with data presented in the main article and the data tables, locate the socioeconomic trajectories for the following categories of people.
• White boys and girls who grew up rich• White boys and girls who grew up poor• Black boys and girls who grew up rich• Black boys and girls who grew up poor
• Boys and girls of ONE OTHER RACIAL/ETHNIC GROUP (of your choice) who grew up rich
• Boys and girls of THE SAME OTHER RACIAL/ETHNIC GROUP (of your choice) who grew up poor
Based on the main article and the data included in this handout, answer the following questions. Each question should be answered in approximately one paragraph.
- Looking at the intersection of race and gender, which people are most likely to be wealthy adults, and which people are most likely to be poor? Support your answer with evidence from the article / data. (2 points)
- Which people (again, by race and gender) are most likely to experience upward mobility? Which people are most likely to experience downward mobility? Support your answer with evidence from the article / data. (2 points)
- How do the outcomes for the men and women of the third racial/ethnic group you selected compare to the outcomes for their Black and White peers? Things you might consider: are any gender patterns that you noticed among Whites and Blacks mirrored in this group? On the whole, how is this group doing compared to Whites and Blacks? Support your answer with evidence from the article / data. (2 points)
- Based on the results of this study (both those presented in the Times article and your own data analysis), what do you conclude about social stratification (along the lines of wealth, race, and gender) in the United States? How do the three types of inequalities interact? Support your answer with evidence from the article / data. (4 points)
Remember, you need to support all of your answers with specific data from the article and the data tables.
You will submit your work on Blackboard using the dropbox in the “Social Stratification Homework” folder.Submissions must be in Word or PDF format! Pages and GDocs files will not upload or display properly on Blackboard. If you do not know how to convert your files, please consult with the Help Desk.
Your responses will be graded based on the rubric below; be sure to consult it as you work! I expect proper writing mechanics and errors in writing will be penalized. If you have trouble catching your own writing errors, I encourage you to have someone proofread for you or to consult with the writing center.
1 Badger, E., Miller, C. C., Pearce, A., and Quealy, K. March 19, 2018. “Extensive Data Shows Punishing Reach of Racism for Black Boys.” The New York Times. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/03/19/upshot/race-class-white-and-black- men.html. Accessed November 14, 2019.